What are the risks of disease from Mosquito and Tick bites?
- Lyme disease
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- West Nile Virus
- Encephalitis (several types)
- Yellow fever
- Dengue fever
- Chikungunya virus
Are you tired of hiding from your yard? Have you decided that change needs to happen? Follow these instructions before you hire ANYONE!
- Start Simple, take care of the obvious. See the list below, “What can I do?” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the EPA say that for reducing insect populations around your home, integrated pest management (IPM) is still the best first step.
- Call your town or county, they may treat your area for free.
- If the above is not enough or fails, call Northeast Pro-Con 888-776-0444 however, if you choose to call someone else or a few companies, ask some questions:
- Ask to see a license or certification.
Everyone here at Pro-Con is licensed and insured. We maintain these licenses by attending many continuing education courses.
- Ask whether they have a plan to protect nontarget organisms.Chemicals That kill mosquitoes can also kill beneficial insects, honeybees and butterflies.
There must be a plan to prevent this from happening. Our service technicians first walk the area and inspect the property and beyond the property. They understand which way the wind is blowing and use that to their advantage, walking with the wind to keep the treatment where it should be and minimizing drift. They look for neighbors, children and foraging insects that are off target.
- Reject mosquito misting systems.
They are expensive, and they generally involve spraying one chemical across an entire yard, they can breed insecticide resistance.
WHAT CAN I DO TO CONTROL MOSQUITOES AND TICKS, besides call Pro-Con? A lot!
- Remove objects that allow water to sit more than 4 days, buckets, pet dishes, bird feeders, tire swings and planters…. Keep gutters clear of debris, this will collect standing water as well.
- Remove and clean up leaves and debris, both ticks and mosquitoes will hide here.
- Repair screen doors and windows.
100% All-Natural Mosquito and Tick Treatment
Currently we here at Pro-Con are not doing synthetic Mosquito and Tick treatments. We made this decision based on many reasons and over 30 years of experience. Here are some of those reasons:
- What is on the other side of that fence? Is your neighbor’s window open? Are there honey bees foraging in the area?
Are kids playing on a swing set?
- Synthetic mosquito and tick treatments have been linked with liver and thyroid problems and they can also be classified by the EPA as a possible human carcinogen. PERMETHRIN is a synthetic pyrethroid insecticide and neurotoxin. It is more acutely toxic to children than to adults. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has classified it as a human carcinogen and it has been shown to cause immune system damage as well as birth defects.
This is a population reduction based program, the idea is to decrease the population for more comfort, NOT to kill everything. We have found that scheduling our services before yard time, or increasing services, has great results with natural products.